TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines- Governor Manuel Mamba on Tuesday, April 11, expressed his disappointments after the Sangguniang Panlalawigan remanded his proposed 2017 budget, saying over P403 million amount of proposed projects for 2017 will not be implemented.
In a press conference, Mamba said he already ordered all department heads and other agencies, including the district hospitals, to prepare for a re-enacted budget.
“The provincial govertnment is prepared to operate under a re-enacted budget…but the most glaring consequence of a re-enacted is that the provincial government cannot implement new programs, projects and activities whether infrastructre or non-infrastructure,” Mamba said.
Under a re-enacted budget, Mamba said, only the personal services, statutory contractor obligations, special operating expenses authorized under the 2016 budget will be used for the province’s operations.
Earlier, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Cagayan passed a lengthy resolution questioning the Local Development Investment Plan (LDIP) CY 2017-2022 of the Mamba administration.
The resolution also noted “findings, observations and recommendations” for Mamba’s “rectifications.”
“It is important that these plans are synchronized, in accord with the programs of the National Government, reflective of the thrusts and priorities of both the executive and legislative department of the Provincial Government and, most importantly, responsive to the needs of Cagayanos. As such, at the earliest opportunity, its contents must be rectified,” the provincial board said in its resolution.
No new projects
Mamba said they can only operate based on the 2016 budget, which gave them no chance to introduce new projects and programs.
During his press conference, Mamba enumerated his proposed projects that will no longer be implemented under a re-enacted.
He said P209,774,695 amount for the concreting of provincial roads will not be implemented. These include P84 million in District 1; P58 million in District 2; and P55 million in District 3.
The rehabilitation of the Tawi Bridge in Penablanca, which was destroyed during the wrath of Super Typhoon Lawin, amounting to more than P7 million will also not be implemented.
Mamba added that the development assistance of P3 million per municipality and the P500,000 per barangay will also not be implemented under the re-enacted budget.
Despite this, Mamba said: “The executive department will ensure that the basi services we had so far provided to the people will continue. Cagayanos deserve no less.” -Northernforum.net