TUGUEGARAO CITY, Cagayan – Governor Manuel Mamba believes that the pre-emptive evacuation for the local people in the northern part of Cagayan might be the reason why there were no casualties recorded during the onslaught of Typhoon Ramon.
The Provincial Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (PDRRMC) logged zero casualty for the province throughout the duration of Typhoon Ramon who overstayed in the Philippine Area of Responsibility that threatened massive flooding and landslides.
“I suppose that those living in the landslide and flood prone areas are now in the evacuation centers that is why we don’t have any casualty,” Governor Mamba said.
The massive pre-emptive evacuation led by the local executives in the municipalities started days before Typhoon Ramon made its landfall at Sta. Ana while packing a maximum sustained winds of 120kilometers per hour and gusts of up to 200kilometers per hour.
Based on the data from the situational report provided by the Cagayan Provincial Information Office dated yesterday, November 22, 20 municipalities, 198 barangays, 5,138 families and 16,053 were affected by the Typhoon.
“We are still assessing the cost damages due to typhoon Ramon, especially on infrastructure and agriculture which are severely damaged,” said Mamba.
Mamba is also confident that the Local Government Units still have enough funds to be used for the response and quick recovery operations even when a state of calamity status was declared in the province last week due to the severe flooding caused by tail end of the cold front.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development, the Philippine National Police and other volunteer groups including the national government agencies have been extending help to distribute relief goods to the affected families.
The quick response teams and other rescue volunteers are still deployed in their respective areas of responsibility for the conduct of forced evacuation due to flooding.