TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines- President Rodrigo Duterte was “calm” in his meeting with Philippine governors on Thursday, January 19, Cagayan governor Manuel Mamba said.
In a phone interview on Friday, January 20, Mamba said Duterte had a “simple” talk” and “was not angry,” unlike the meeting with the mayors allegedly involved in illegal drug operations.
In the meeting, the President rallied support from governors eradicating drug problems, saying “it will destroy the country if not solved.”
Mamba said Duterte also asked them to “take a peek” on the drug but they “never had the time.”
Duterte, however, ordered interior secretary Ismael Sueno to furnish the governors with the 500-page list of “narco-politicians.”
Mamba also quoted Duterte saying that he is tapping the governors in his anti-illegal drug campaign because they “have the resources, such as the confidential funds.”
“I will support the anti-drug war. Total support ako diyan,” he said.
Duterte did not name any “narco-governor,” but Mamba said he named a few officials in Ilocos region.
Mamba also criticised the reassignment of prosecutor Amador Arao in provincial trial court, saying it is “ironic” to assign back Arao in the province despite complaints against him concerning the illegal drug operations in the province.
Mamba had earlier accused Arao of unusually dismissing high number of cases of illegal drugs in the province-Northernforum.net