MANILA- The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)-National Resource Operations Office (NROO) airlifted on Monday morning an additional 200 boxes of corned beef and generator sets for typhoon victims in Batanes as requested by the provincial government and the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) Response Cluster.
Earlier on Sunday, another batch of response team from DSWD and other member agencies of the NDRRMC provided aid in isolated areas in Batanes, specifically in the municipality of Itbayat.
The team, headed by NDRRMC Executive Director Undersecretary Ricardo B. Jalad with DSWD Assistant Secretary Hope V. Hervilla and DSWD Assistant Bureau Director Carlos Padolina, arrived in Batanes at around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday via C295 plane to assess the condition of typhoon “Ferdie” victims and extended additional assistance.
Also accompanied by Batanes Gov. Marilou Cayco and Rep. Henedina Abad, the team brought 20 sacks of rice, four boxes of distilled water, 20 assorted boxes containing canned goods and family food packs (FFPs), medical supplies, medicines, and generator sets to Itbayat.
Based on an update from Padolina, the team was able to conduct initial assessment on the damage brought about by the typhoon in Itbayat.
“Damaged were houses, electric posts, school buildings, crops and livestock and agricultural products such as bananas and coconut trees,” he said.
The Itbayat municipal assessment initially placed the amount of damage at PHP64.7 million, he said.
Meanwhile, DSWD Secretary Judy M. Taguiwalo commended the response team for delivering the immediate needs of the typhoon victims despite the inclement weather in Northern Luzon.
“The DSWD and NDRRMC team is doing their best to provide immediate assistance to typhoon victims. We assure the public that we are doing all the necessary actions to assist those who are severely affected. In addition, the Department is already assessing them for programs that will help them for their recovery and rehabilitation,” said Secretary Taguiwalo.
To date, there are 2,710 families or 10,344 persons who have been displaced by the typhoon in Regions I and II. Of them, 20 families or 151 persons are still in three evacuation centers. Another 2,651 families or 10,063 persons temporarily took shelter with their relatives and friends.
The response team members maintain coordination with the provincial government of Batanes and will continue their relief mission in the municipality of Mahatao and other hard-to-reach areas in the following days. (PNA)