TUGUEGARAO CITY, Philippines- (UPDATED) The provinces of Cagayan and Isabela are now preparing for the possible wrath of Tropical Storm Jolina.
In a phone interview on Thursday night, August 24, Edmond Guzman, Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Council (PDRRMC)-Isabela chief, said they have already ordered the municipal and city disaster response units to conduct precautionary measures on Jolina’s impact.
The state weather bureau PAGASA said Tropical Storm Jolina may intensify further before its expected landfall in Isabela area on Friday evening, August 25.
Guzman said they have already alerted concerned agencies to implement the no-sail policy and liquor ban around the province.
“We have already texted our municipal and city mayors to take precautionary measures and to implement the no-sail policy, especially in the four coastal towns of the province,” Guzman told The Northern Forum in a mix of Filipino and English.
He added that as per order of the Governor Dy, classes in all levels are suspended on Friday.
About 5,000 packs of pre-positioned relief goods were also being readied in case there are evacuations from the coastal and low-lying areas.
Guzman said the province-built evacuation centers are now also ready to house evacuees.
“Our evacuation centers are also now ready. We now have more than enough blankets and folding beds for evacuees,” he said.
Meanwhile, Cagayan province has also suspended classes in pre-school, elementary, and junior and senior high school early Friday morning.
In a phone interview, Cagayan information officer Rogie Sending said Governor Manuel Mamba had already alerted the PDRRMC-Cagayan and the province’s quick response team and Task Force Lingkod (serve) Cagayan.
Sending said the provincial disaster team is closely monitoring the rise of Cagayan River’s water level because the province serves as catch basin of surrounding provinces of Cagayan Valley and Cordillera regions. Northernforum.net